We have gone through a lot of playdough since E was old enough to play with it! In an effort to save money, I tried a few different recipes to make our own. After tweeking it here and there and A LOT of cream of tartar later, I found what works best for us! We love store bought playdough too, but it has been fun to make our own and add different scents. Although it is non-toxic, I definitely don't let the kids eat it, I would suggest you do the same!
This recipe will make three separate doughs. If desired, you can skip step two and make one large batch of playdough!
- One cup flour
- One cup water
- Two teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup salt (yes, that reads CUP)
- One tablespoon vegetable oil
- Food coloring (gel or liquid)
- Scent add-ins: ground cinnamon, almond extract, lavender oil & green apple jello mix packet
- Combine all ingredients except the food coloring and scent add-ins, mix well
- Divide into three equal parts to make three different scented doughs
- Transfer one mixture at a time to a two quart sauce pan and heat on LOW
- Continue to stir and add in preferred color and green apple jello mix at this time while it is still liquid. We used green, purple and orange
- It will thicken after a few minutes, turn off heat and continue to fold together
- Place dough on parchment paper to cool
- Once cooled, add in desired scent
- Cinnamon & Almond: tablespoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Lavender: three drops of lavender oil
- Knead dough until completely smooth
- Store dough in a sealed container
- Have fun playing with your dough!
We love these three scents and colors! We plan to try some more fall-themed dough soon, stay tuned!